Placing a dog tag as a form of identification on our pets is a basic task for any guardian. Nevertheless, many of our pets are without dog tags. A study done by Preventative Veterinary Medicine indicates that only about 33 percent of our precious pets have dog tags. The rest of the people, a whopping 67 percent do not put a dog tag or rarely puts a dog tag on their pets.
Having custom pet tags attached to your dog is important as it makes it likely that your pet will be returned to you if it takes a solo adventure and gets lost. Indoor pets are more likely to get lost when they take to solo adventures far away from the house.
It, therefore, should that keeping a dog tag on your pet should be a no-brainer, but many of us still overlook this simple but very important step because we do not understand why it is necessary or we are just lazy to do it.
Putting a dog tag on our pets as a form of identification is a simple and most reasonable way to ensure that if the pet gets lost, it can find a way back.
Some pet owners may worry that their dogs will refuse a dog tag. It is only a simply thing to do – introduce the dog gradually to a tag. You can start without a jingling bell or a tinkling tag. You can start by placing the tag on your dog for some minutes, say 10 minutes or a few hours if the dog does not object. You should supervise the dog during those times. Reward the dog with a nice treat and remove the collar. Repeat the procedure several times until the dog is comfortable with the tag. Such an introduction will make the dog appear comfortable with the tag permanently.
Yet, there are those pet owners who fear that their dog may get hung on a collar. It is important for the pet owners to understand that a well-fitted collar is unlikely to slide underneath the dog.
Pet tags are cheap, and in a pinch, they can help with just one piece of information on them. Some of the information that can be placed on pet tags includes the name of the pet, a phone number or an indication where the owner is found can help too, for example, 999 Block D of Main St. There is no requirement to have a stainless tag which is engraved with some words on it. One can get a cheap sharpie or collar tag and write some form of identification on them.
There is evidence to suggest that dog tags play an important role in bringing the dogs back to their home. If the pet gets lost, it can be returned home, or you can get a call to collect it from where it has been found.
According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), only about 20 percent of lost dogs are returned to their owners. Just because your dog lives inside is not a guarantee that it is safe. It is only important to put a dog tag on your pet as a form of identification to ensure that it is returned to you in case it gets lost.